Saturday, September 7, 2013

Wild Horses, Thunder of Freedom

During my summer painting trip, I camped out at McCullough Peaks to spend time with the wild horses there. These are stocky, handsome horses whose rugged appearance portray  an iconic image of wild horses. I was fascinated by this herd as they covered a large amount of ground when they ran into their favorite waterhole. I found them before dawn one morning and gotten a small painting done. Then as they slowly began to move, I could tell where they were headed. I jumped in my truck to get to the waterhole before they did.  The experience of watching and feeling them thunder in touched my spirit. This painting is based on that experience.

Below is a short video with clips of them running and photos of this painting in progress.

"Thunder of Freedom"
Oil
16x20
Sold

No comments: