Monday, April 8, 2013

The Anatomy of a Painting

So much goes into the completion of a painting. I go through several stages to collect my reference, make field studies, value and color studies, then a final studio painting. Each painting in the process has it's own appeal and a valuable place in my process.

The  process for "Family Ties" started last August. I painted the field study early one morning.


Before I begin painting, I always take a couple of quick photos of my subject.


"The White Mare"
 6x6 
Sold
This is the field study I did that morning.


Photo by Robin Knight
Painting "The White Mare"
"Close to Mom" 
4x4
Sold
A small color study.



A value study.





"Family Ties"
Oil
14x18
$500.00

The painting process is one that involves as much authenticity and connection with my subjects as I can get. Through that process, I hope to bring to the viewer as much life and introduction into each piece as I can.



No comments: