Saturday, June 6, 2009

Painting horses en Plein air











Last week, my anticipated order from Open Box M arrived. These Plein air supplies are crafted with quality and ease of use in mind. Needless to say, I could not wait to get out and paint some horses on location. For my maiden voyage, I painted my Percheron/Thoroughbred cross, Comanche. He was happy to roam around the yard, eat his breakfast, (and a little of everyone else's too), while I worked. He finally came over to check it out. "Whoa, that looks like me!", was his exclamation.
The next two days, I worked on location with horses that I am commissioned to paint. My favorite way to work is to paint a horse from life, and get a clear idea of the horses appearance and personality. During these sessions, I photograph the horse as well. The final phase of the commission is to complete a formal painting in the Studio. during the session on Friday, I was able to paint the first without complication. However the second one was too shy. He stayed on the other side of the arena, looking at the horses on the next property. Needless to say, I will return to paint him from life on another day. This morning, was a fun session with a sightly animated horse. This Arab/Pinto gelding knew I was there just for him, and he strutted around for sometime before settling down.
Horses live in the moment, and painting them from life reflects that same requirement of living completely in the present. Each painting and experience is so unique and delightful, that I hope that life and joy are seen in each painting. Please contact me if you are interested in a commission.

4 comments:

Free Rein Art Studio said...

Your paintings are lovely! I love the photo with the brown and white horse eating up all the atention! strutting his stuff in the background! How fun!

Anonymous said...

I love horses! Glad I found you :)


Hello,
I found you by clicking "Etsy" in my "interests" links on Blogger and decided to "follow" you. I would like to invite you to my new blog, "Dish."

I would love it if you would tell us something you "ate" today, and something you "made" today, at this post here:
http://dish-dish-dish.blogspot.com/2009/06/hello-and-welcome-to-my-new-blog-dish.html

See you,
Kara

Karen McLain said...

Thanks-I have been busy painting since I got my new easel and it has been nice and cool outdoors.

Unknown said...

Don't you love your new easel? I've been using one for about 3 years now, and it's just a treat to work with.